Jasprit

Jasprit

Sometimes It Happens - Lauren Barnholdt *Contains some spoilers!*Sometimes it happens is the story of Hannah who after having a surprisingly eventful summer is dreading going back to school as she doesn’t want to bump into three people in particular. First there’s her best friend Ava; whilst Ava was away at summer camp in Maine, Hannah slept with Ava’s boyfriend Noah. Then there’s Hannah’s ex boyfriend Sebastian who broke her heart when she caught him making out with another girl, but he still keeps randomly turning up wanting to talk to her and then there’s Noah; Hannah and Noah got really close over the summer, so close in fact that Hannah may have ended up falling for him. But now everyone’s back at school after the summer break and Hannah doesn’t really know how Noah feels, and now that Ava’s back who knows what will happen? Should she tell Ava the truth?I absolutely loved this premise, I recently read a similar sort of book where a friend is cheating with her best friend’s boyfriend and I found myself rooting for the couple that were cheating. Thats exactly how I felt about Noah and Hannah. The chemistry between them was so beautiful, I loved it how they slowly got to know each other a bit more, exploring each other’s musical tastes and sharing secrets. Basically Noah and Hannah were perfect for each other.Where do I start with Ava? I didn’t really like her that much in the beginning and I didn’t really sorry for her either when she found out the truth. This may have been because she was always trying to convince Hannah that whatever she suggested to do was right and I found her continual snarky comments really irritating. In contrast I adored Lacey, she had a lot of anxiety issues and so got easily stressed out over minor things like a pimple, her reactions were extremely funny and this is what made her such an entertaining character. Also despite not knowing Hannah, she was there for her when she needed someone.Lauren Barnholdt’s writing was extremely gripping, I found myself hooked from the first page. I also liked it how she alternated each chapter between time; with one chapter being told from the present day and the next chapter remembering the summer. As each chapter had a sort of mini-cliff-hanger at the end I found myself constantly wanting to skip a chapter so that I could follow the story from that one particular time-frame. Overall Sometimes it happens was a funny engrossing read which I thoroughly enjoyed. As this was my first book by Lauren Barnholdt, it makes me want to read more of her books straight away!