Jasprit

Jasprit

Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson Anderson did a brilliant job with Speak, the book dealt with issues many teenagers face in high school; being isolated and made to feel like an outsider from other social groups and just basically having no one to talk to. This is the situation Melinda found herself in, she wasn’t the popular girl in high school, but she had friends she could talk to and hang out with. But ever since she called the cops at Kyle Rodgers party, no one wants to know her, not even her best friend Rachel. Eventually she finds a friend in Heather, but even she blows her off when she finds a different group of girls to hang out with. Melinda isn’t helped by the fact that there isn’t any proper communication between her and her parents. They either leave notes for each other on the kitchen counter or her parents brush her silence off as attention seeking when Melinda’s mum sees her cuts on her wrists she just simply states “I don’t have time for this”. The way everyone treated Melinda infuriated me; treating her like a nobody and how no one even took the time to ask Melinda why she called the cops in the first place. Despite dealing with a very sensitive subject matter I enjoyed reading Speak. It was definitely an intensely moving read.