Jasprit

Jasprit

Olive's Ocean - Kevin Henkes Olive’s Ocean tells the story of 12 year old Martha, who longs for the summer breaks, as this is the time she gets to spend most with her grandmother. But this summer things are different; firstly Olive a girl in Martha’s class unexpectedly gets killed, Martha feels really guilty as she didn’t really get to know Oliver properly. Then her dad decides he wants to go back to work and not be a writer anymore. She’s also worried that her grandmother won’t have much time to spend with her anymore as she’s getting older. Also what’s up with the Manning brothers does Jimmy really like her? So it’s all a lot to deal with for little Martha. I really wanted to like Olive’s Ocean, being a Newbery honour book I thought I would, there were parts of the story which were quite moving and heart wrenching and my heart did go out to poor Martha, but at other times I felt I couldn’t connect with her character, I really don’t know why, because I’ve read similar sorts of books which I adored such as Jenny Han’s Shug and Twenty Boy SummerI’m quite bummed for giving this book 2 stars as the other books I’ve read which were either Printz and Newbery winners or honours I really enjoyed and I gave them 4 stars or more. Unfortunately this book was a bit of a letdown for me.