Jasprit

Jasprit

The Next Door Boys - Jolene Betty Perry 2.5 stars After looking over the other ratings, I think I’m the only person whose given The Next door boys 2 stars :-| I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately, the last few books I’ve read have been either a complete hit with me or a complete miss!Leigh was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last year, after undergoing intensive chemotherapy and having surgery, she’s finally been told she’s in remission. Since she’s been recovering and gaining her strength back, she’s been cooped up at home with her overprotective parents. But finally after being in remission for three months, her parents allow Leigh some independence by letting her go away to school, but only under the condition that she moves next door to her brother Jaron who is also away at school, so that he can make sure she’s not overworking herself. Leigh’s ecstatic, after missing nearly a year out, Leigh can finally have some independence, do the things she’s wanted to do and in the close vicinity to Jaron, who she has a close relationship with.From just reading the blurb I thought that The Next Door Boys would be my typical kind of book. I had no problems getting into it and it was quite heart felt reading how Leigh’s cancer could still have a massive impact on her body, so many months after her remission. But then as the story progressed, Leigh became quite frustrating, she would go from feeling one thing and then changing her mind quickly afterwards like one minute she was in love with Noah, but then when he proposed she suddenly realised it was the wrong thing to do?? I didn’t understand how she could make that decision so quickly and then she was so oblivious to when guys were interested in her but in particular to the fact that her perfect partner was literally in front of her, on several occasions when Brian made a comment or reacted awkwardly to Noah, she just didn’t click on and it took her nearly to the end of the book to realise! Also the way the book jumped from one scene to the next I found quite off putting, I’d just got my head around one scene, when it’d change to something completely different. There were however parts that I did like; the openly strong friendship between Brian and Jaron; rarely have I come across a story which shows two guys being so close and caring towards each other. Despite Leigh being indecisive sometimes, she was a strong character and after being ill for a long time, she didn’t just give up, she tried to do as many things as possible even with her body restricting her progress so many times, she showed that she had great determination. Overall The Next Door Boys was a book which I didn’t enjoy as much as I’d hoped, I’d like to thank Cedar Fort and Netgalley for giving me this opportunity to read this book.