Jasprit

Jasprit

Choker - Elizabeth Woods I went into this book with no particular assumptions, I’d read a few great reviews here and there, so didn’t really have my expectations set too high, but after finishing Choker, my feelings were kind of conflicted. Choker tells the story of Cara; a girl whose pretty much been ignored at school until the incident where she chokes on a carrot in the school cafeteria and Ethan the guy she’s likes helps her to lodge it from her throat, Alexis, Ethan’s on-off girlfriend thinks Cara’s choked on purpose to get Ethan’s attention and starts calling her choker and making gagging noises every time she’s close by. From then on mocking Cara becomes nonstop. Cara’s home life isn’t too great either, her parents are both lawyers and so they spend most of their time away from home and too focused on their work. Then Zoe, Cara’s childhood friend unexpectedly turns up claiming to have run away from her evil step-dad, Cara needing a friend more than ever agrees to hide her in her room. However soon after Zoe’s appearance, weird things start happening, Sydney; Cara’s popular neighbour and Alexis’s best friend is found dead at her party, but at the same time things start looking up for Cara, she comes in second at the track meet, she’s finally found a group of friends who actually acknowledge her and who she can hang out with and she’s spending a lot more time chatting with Ethan. But then Alexis goes missing and suspicions are flying all over the place and some are also saying that Sydney’s death wasn’t an accident after all. I immediately suspected Zoe, her behaviour had quickly become more and more erratic and her control she had over Cara I didn’t like at all, it’s like Cara couldn’t say a single thing wrong about her. And she certainly had a creepiness about her. I found Choker for most of the time to be a bit too clichéd for my liking, I also found the writing at times didn’t really hold my attention and there were a few eye roll quotes; “Oh my god she said to the ceiling tiles. An entire conversation with Ethan Gray - and he saw her in her sports bra - and he gave her two compliments”I would have probably ended up giving Choker two stars if it wasn’t for the spanner Elizabeth Woods threw into the works at the end, I so didn’t see that coming, the ending seriously freaked me out..Overall Choker is a book I didn’t particularly enjoy, but if you’re looking for something different from your usual reads, something slightly creepy then Choker is the perfect Halloween read.