Jasprit

Jasprit

Unraveling Isobel - Eileen Cook Unraveling Isobel was a surprisingly good read, this book had received quite a lot of mixed reviews so I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Isobel is forced to move during her senior year to Nairne Island because of her mum marrying Dick, a guy who she met over the internet and had been dating for only three months. Isobel’s not too wrapped with her mum’s decision, she has to leave her best friend Anita behind, move into a spookily big estate with a step dad she doesn’t like, her mum and Dick acting lovey-dovey all the time, which can be quite sickening and a step-brother whose quite hot!After moving into the estate strange things start to happen, Isobel ends up picking a bedroom which was meant to be locked and which belonged to her step brother Nate’s dead sister Evelyn (Nate’s sister and mum died in a mysterious boating accident.), ocean water mysteriously turns up in her room, Evelyn’s teddy Mr. Zebra seems to be magically moving itself around her room and she’s sure that she can see Evelyn!I can’t remember the last time I read a seriously good creepy book, probably when I was a lot younger and loved reading my Goosebumps collection. The last book I read which was creepy was Choker, but it was also overly-clichéd. However Unraveling Isobel was totally different to Choker and I think that’s why I enjoyed it so much, there was something happening all the time; ghostly related or with the popular girl at school Nicole (who I so wanted to punch) showing Isobel up or trying to get her mitts into Nate. I found each time I tried to guess what was going to happen or who the culprit was I couldn’t have been more wrong. And it was so difficult to tell whether what was happening was down to supernatural happenings or somebody was behind it all. This book really kept me on my toes. Like I would never have guessed that Mandy the librarian that Isobel had been talking to was a ghost or that Dick was behind everything, I had my suspicions but he was seriously one twisted psycho, he had Isobel’s mum wrapped around his finger, seriously these two needed some serious slaps! First their love-sick teenager act, and then Isobel’s mum being so loved up with Dick that she always took his side over her daughter Isobel’s. She was maddening! And Dick and his fake jolliness, how could he stoop so low and try to convince Isobel’s mum that Isobel had a mental illness, what an evil man!. And the humour in this book I loved it! Isobel’s quick remarks and wittiness were hilarious. Unraveling Isobel for me was one of those little gems of a book; isn’t really hyped up, written by a relatively unknown author (to me) and that keeps you thoroughly entertained.