Jasprit

Jasprit

Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe - Shelley Coriell There are some reviews that come real easily that before you know it, you’re reviews already done. But this review for Welcome Caller this is Chloe was so difficult to write. I think it was largely because after finishing it I was still in two minds about how I felt about it. On the one hand it was funny and full of laugh out loud moments and then at other times I kept questioning myself why am I still reading this?Chloe finds herself in a tough spot, her two best friends Merce and Brie don’t want to know her, with the whole school whispering behind her back and feeling like a social leper Chloe’s all alone. She doesn’t think that things can get any worse; until she finds out from the schools new guidance counsellor that her original JISP (junior independence study project) is no longer acceptable. And that she has to re-submit a new JISP. The interfering cat like counsellor even goes far as forcing a JISP project on Chloe; she has to become a promotions girl for the school radio station. She can’t be serious; only the schools outcasts work there. To top it all off, world war 3 seems to be taking place at home, with Chloe’s grams Parkinson’s getting progressively worse, she’s refusing to accept any help, she seem to be constantly arguing with Chloe’s mum about what would be the right steps to take. Welcome Caller this is Chloe definitely had an interesting set of characters which thoroughly kept me entertained. Chloe was a whole lot of fun she was really chatty, over -enthusiastic, had an overactive imagination and was always in her element. I think one of the reasons l liked Chloe’s character was because I could see a lot of myself in Chloe, like Chloe I’m known to be a right old chatter-box and on so many occasions my friends have told me to reign my chattiness in or just shut the hell up. I also adored Chloe’s grams I thought that because of her Parkinson’s she’d have a sense of fragility about her but no she was a right old fire- cracker. She was always on the move never wanted to be bogged down, she had feistiness about her but also a nurturing side, she’d be there for Chloe when she needed her, being a great listener and dishing out the best advice possible. Duncan didn’t really do it for me but with his character there was always an element of intrigue, you’re constantly left guessing what is he hiding? Where does he keep disappearing to? Brie, Chloe’s ex best friend that caused the problems in the first place I couldn’t stand, but Clementine; the radio show’s fire breathing dragon I liked, I especially liked her passion for the radio show. I actually liked the entire radio team, each brought something different to the station, whether it was a zany idea or a quirky hobby, and I definitely would have liked to got to know these characters a lot more. It’s really difficult to explain how I felt about this book, I started off pleasantly enjoying it, it was fun watching Chloe get thrown into an awkward situation interacting with people she would never normally would and the story dealt with serious issues that many teenagers have to deal with such as isolation and drug issues really well. But then towards the middle the book lost the sparkle that it started off with, it really left me with conflicted feelings, I really wanted to enjoy it and be swept away with the humour and fun of it all, but it just left me slightly underwhelmed. Nonetheless if you’re looking for a quick easy-going fun read then Welcome Caller this is Chloe is the book for you. Thank you to Netgalley and Abrams books for giving me this opportunity to read this book.