Jasprit

Jasprit

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith 3.5 stars “Hadley presses her forehead against the window of the taxi and once again finds herself smiling at thethought of him. He’s like a song she can’t get out of herhead. Hard as she tries the melody of their meeting runsthrough her mind on an endless loop each time as surprisinglysweet as the last, like a lullaby like a hymn and shedoesn’t think she could ever get tired of hearing it” The statistical probability of love at first sight was one of my highly anticipated books of the year and I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy early on. Hadley has been forced to attend her father’s wedding to a woman she’s never met before in England. Hadley’s spent a lot of time avoiding her dad after her parents broke up; she’s angry and frustrated at her dad for abandoning her and her mother and moving to another country. Her mother was completely heartbroken; Hadley and her mum had a tough time but supported each other through it. Now not long after her parents’ divorce Hadley has to attend his wedding. But Hadley misses her flight by just four minutes and has to wait 3 hours for the next flight out to England. She had a massive argument with her mum before leaving for the airport and her dad isn’t happy about her missing her flight. But maybe it was down to fate as at the airport she meets Oliver; and what started off as a trip that she had been dreading becomes a momentous and unforgettable 24 hour experience of her life. Oliver and Hadley’s relationship was sweet; they automatically clicked and just understood where the other was coming from. This could have been because they found themselves in the same boat; both had complicated relationships with their dads, both travelling to London, and not for really happy occasions. Oliver was so sweet and understanding, he listened patiently whilst Hadley poured out her problems, distracting her from her claustrophobia and trying to cheer her up. He was just a shoulder you needed once in a while. The smallest of his gestures just tore though my heart and at times I just wanted to give him a big hug, I also loved how he wasn’t afraid to share his fears. Despite relatively enjoying this book, a few things buggered up the book for me and for that reason I felt that I could only give this book 3.5 stars. The reason being Hadley’s parents. First I found Hadley’s mum infuriating at how she kept pushing Hadley to go to the wedding, considering the rough time she had after her husband left her. And then Hadley’s dad; I really wanted Hadley to do something; she had all this pent up anger about him abandoning her and her mum and re-marrying so quickly and the way she was going on about it I thought she would, but it just seemed that she forgave him too quickly. Overall The statistical probability of love at first sight was a cute poignant read, but I’m just disappointed that I’d set my hopes too high as this book did fall some way short of my expectations.