Jasprit

Jasprit

Bitter End - Jennifer Brown I’m usually one to stay well away from books that deal with sensitive subjective matters such as abuse, so what made me pick up this book? I don’t really know, I thought to myself a new year, so maybe I should try something different. Different it definitely was, but did I enjoy it as much? Not really. Being in an abusive relationship is a difficult situation people can find themselves in, many for whatever reason feel they can’t ever end the relationship or leave their partner. Many are convinced that it’s a one off and will never happen again, many believe their partner when they say they will change if they take them back. But it rarely happens that way and the vicious cycle continues. This is the situation Alex finds herself in, new guy at school, great looking, confident, she gets paired to tutor him, he seems interested in her, gives her compliments and is a sweet talker. Soon they start spending more and more time together until they’re practically dating. Cole seemed decent enough at first, but slowly the cracks started to appear, he started getting jealous and over protective if Alex was spending too much time with her best friend Zach, he would just turn up out of the blue where Alex said she would be as if he was checking up on her and he would be continually watching her that it became kind of creepy. Anyone could say the signs were blatantly obvious; her best friends Bethany and Zach were always warning her to be careful and Cole’s behaviour started becoming more erratic. But being in Alex’s situation it must have been tough, as she was torn between her love for her real first boyfriend, who loved her back and the person she was before she met Cole. She’s a shadow of her former self now, she was carefree, easy going, had plans to travel to Colorado with her two best friends Bethany and Zack, but now she can’t make even make a single decision without over thinking everything. Will Cole approve? Will Cole get mad? And what would she do if he left her? She would have no one and she would be all alone again. So why the two stars? Let me just start off by saying I’ve heard great things about Jennifer Brown, Hate list has been one of her book that I can’t wait to read and it’s obvious she’s a talented author, as she has written Bitter end really well. But I just felt that it took ages for the story to get going and then finally when we got to the actual nitty gritty, my heart wasn’t really in the story anymore. I’d lost interest completely, I was reading just for the sake of reading and not because I was actually enjoying the book.I find that I like a book much more when I connect with the characters or even like some of them. Sadly none of the characters really appealed to me. Cole was just a heartless thug, Celia; Alex’s sister was selfish and whiny, Bethany we didn’t really get the chance to get to know her character much, Zach the only character who I thought had potential wasn’t in the story much. And Alex I did really feel for her, she’s been through so much already; with her mum passing away when she was younger, her dad being closed off all the time and her drifting away from her best friends because of Cole. But I like characters who draw me into the story more, who I feel a connection with and make the story worthwhile reading it, and I didn’t get any of this from Alex.Also some of the scenes were really hard to stomach. I’m glad in a way that I took a chance with this book because it made me realise that these sort of books; with an abusive storyline aren’t really for me.Bitter end was a book with a solid storyline and great potential, but just didn’t do it for me. However I still will be checking out Jennifer Brown’s other books and hopefully I will appreciate and enjoy them a lot more than this one.