Jasprit

Jasprit

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews Sometimes the best books you read end up being the ones that you stumble across by accident, Me and Earl and the dying girl was one of those books. I hadn’t even heard about it until my friend Maja started reading it (Maja certainly knows what she’s talking about when it comes to great books) so I checked out the blurb and requested a copy. I’m so glad that I was accepted as Me and Earl and the dying girl was the funniest book I have read in a long time. It bought a smile to my face in just the first few pages, it had me laughing loudly that people started giving me strange looks on my way to work, but I didn’t care because this book was totally worth it.Rachel; a girl Greg knew from Hebrew school has been diagnosed with leukaemia. Greg’s mum suggests that the best thing Rachel needs right now would be a friend and who better for the job than Greg. All he has to do is to be there for her, to talk to, make her feel better and just cheer her up. Greg’s slightly taken back by this, he hasn’t spoken to Rachel since their unfortunate incident at Hebrew school and he’s a bit weirded out about spending time with a dying girl; won’t it be awkward? And what the heck will he and Rachel talk about? Greg was one of the most modest characters I have ever come across I thought Ed in I am the Messenger was modest, but he had nothing on Greg. Greg couldn’t take a compliment at all whenever someone even complimented him, he would argue back with them trying to convince them that he wasn’t, he was always down on himself referring himself as “fat”, going on about his track record with girls or lack of. He was also one genuinely caring guy; was there for Rachel, making her laugh even though it wasn’t the most opportune moment to visit her and despite the awkwardness and him making a prat of himself he kept trying. He was such a funny character; he made this book thoroughly entertaining.I loved his friendship with Earl, how Earl so blasé about things, but they gave their all into their movies, how they always knew what the other was thinking. Earl was another extremely funny character, always running his mouth and never giving two hoots. But also showing he had a softer side towards Rachel, these two were the best comedy duo.I liked the added extras this book brought, you would get conversations written in bullet points, written as overlapping conversations and also in scripted formats; so it was like you were watching a film, you would get a scene describing what the person was doing and what facial expressions they wore. These unique extras definitely gave this book the extra edge that a lot of books are missing these days. You would also get constant reminders from the author hinting at that you probably won’t read any further or surprise at the fact you were still reading it. The thing was I couldn’t stop reading it, as it was so much fun.The thing about this book was that I was a little worried that as it was a book about a girl with cancer, it would be a really difficult and emotional read, but it wasn’t. I found the only tears I shed whilst reading this book were those caused by laughing so much. The cancer storyline was a central aspect of this book, but the book was also more than that, it was a book about two boys making their way through life, not really knowing what they want or what to expect, learning through their mistakes, making absurd yet hysterical films, experiencing hardships and picking up several battle scars along the way. Their journey despite not always being clear cut was certainly a thoroughly enjoyable one.Me and Earl and the dying girl is a book which will have you in stitches from laughing so much, It’s full of quirky characters and such an entertaining read. A big thank you to NetGalley and Abrams books for giving me the opportunity to read this book.