Jasprit

Jasprit

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You  - Ally Carter 2.5 starsAlly Carter was an author who I came across last year when I picked up her Heist society series. It was a series which was cleverly written, humorous and a lot of fun. After thoroughly enjoying it, I thought I would check out her Gallagher girls series. I'd tell you that I love you but then I’d have to kill you follows the story of Cammie who was bought up into a family of spies; not much is known about Cammie’s dad other than he lost his life at doing something that he enjoyed and had a natural talent for. Cammie’s mother is a retired CIA operative but now headmistress of the Gallagher academy; a school for spies which Cammie attends.The academy is there to train up girls who have the natural talent, intelligence or have the spy “genes” running through their family. Cammie’s life is pretty closed off, she’s the last person to know anything despite her mum being head teacher of her school and she’s never had a boyfriend. The Gallagher girls aren’t really allowed to venture out of the academy unless they have prior permission to do so. Also on the outside world no one really knows what the Gallagher academy is really for. Most people assume it’s a boarding school for snobby rich girls. When out training one day Cammie stumbles into a cute boy. Cammie finds herself stuttering and speed talking like she’s insane what is wrong with her? she’s a spy for god’s sake she knows how to speak in 14 languages but for some insane reason she finds herself blushing and unable to form a coherent sentence. Her best friends Bex and Liz decide that if she really likes this guy then they must conduct a special investigation to ensure he’s safe and doesn’t have a record. But the more time Cammie spends with him the more she realises she’s falling for him, but will he still like her when he finds out everything she’s told him is a lie? That she’s not homeschooled but a Gallagher girl? And her friends think that she is mixing up priorities, are the Gallagher girls and becoming a spy; everything she’s been brought up to do important or a boy?So why the 2.5 stars?I’d tell you I love but then I’d have to kill you was a funny humorous read and honestly that was the only reason I carried on reading the book until the end. The humour at times was a little immature for me and I think that’s another reason I didn’t enjoy it as much. I personally think that this would suit a much younger age group, I’m sure that if I was still in high school I would have loved this series but now? Not so much. I also found my attention wavering a lot of the time whilst reading this, this may be because I couldn’t really connect with the characters and also found the plot to be a bit predictable at times. I much prefer a story that keeps you on your toes and has some elements of surprise. I don’t think I will continue with the rest of this series. I know some of you may say how can you give up after just the first book? But I find that unless a book really keeps my attention I am more likely to continue with it, which this book didn’t really do.Thank you NetGalley and Disney-Hyperion for giving me the opportunity to read this book.