Jasprit

Jasprit

The Jelly Bean Crisis - Jolene Stockman Poppy Johnson is going through a Jelly bean crisis. She used to live by a jelly bean theory where she would eat up all the jelly beans she didn’t like first or fob them off to her brother and save the best (the red ones) until last. I remember doing this with my skittles when I was younger, but Poppy went even further, she soon found herself applying this same rule to life; whenever she ate a meal (she would save her favourite food till last and eat the least favourite on the plate first) and also to school; all the hard work she was doing now would pay off in the long run (to the final red jelly bean). But when her nana unexpectedly announces that she’s finally going to college to do what she’s always wanted to do at the age of 75, Poppy begins to doubt her jelly bean theory. Has everything she’s been doing all her life the right thing at all? Who is she studying so hard for? Does she actually want to follow the family route and go to Columbia? Poppy decides to take a gap month to figure it all out.I really liked Poppy, it wasn’t easy standing up to her family, (especially her dad who thought she was throwing everything away) just to stop to take time out and think what did she really want in life? her friends thought she was crazy, but Poppy was fed up of working hard all the time. Poppy’s gap month was an eventful one to say at the least, at times it could be hugely stressful, but it helped Poppy make a lot of important decisions in the end. What she’d originally thought was an awesome job ended up being a headache, and what she’d never considered before she found she ended up enjoying. I enjoyed meeting some of the comical characters along the way and just watching Poppy tackle different areas of work and realise a few of things about herself.When I’d first decided to read the Jelly Bean Crisis I thought it would be a cute, funny read and a lot of aspects of it was. But it also provided a lot more that, parts of it were gritty, raw and the tasks poppy challenged herself to real eye openers. I love it when you go into a book expecting something but end up with so much more. The Jelly Bean Crisis was definitely one of those books.