Jasprit

Jasprit

Storm - Brigid Kemmerer I have discovered some seriously awesome authors this year, with a preference to series over standalones; Brigid Kemmerer’s Elemental series became one of my highly anticipated series of the year. My interest was highly piqued when everyone seemed to be infatuated with the four hot Merrick brothers; I knew this was a series I had to get to as soon as possible.The Merrick brothers; Chris, Michael, Nick and Gabriel like to keep to themselves that’s because they have the power to control the elements. However there’s always someone about who wants to rain on their parade and provoke them into using their elements. When the youngest brother Chris is attacked Becca manages to find herself in the right place at the right time and she save Chris’s life, not that the oldest brother Michael is too happy about, he doesn’t seem to trust Becca but the rest of the Merrick’s sons feel obliged, she did save Chris’s life when they weren’t able to.This book throws you in the deep end from the get go, there’s an instant adrenaline rush with the attack on Chris and the need to get away from the attackers as soon as possible. There are all these questions flying about too, why do the attackers have a grudge against the Merricks that they would leave Chris in such a state? And why would Michael be such an ass about Becca bringing Chris home?Having read the prequel novella Elemental before picking up Storm I’d grown to like Michael, but the high regard that I’d held him in quickly disappeared when he was a complete jerk to Becca when she helped Chris out, he was also quite surly and rude whenever Becca came over I couldn’t quite understand his attitude. Why was he being like this?Chris instantly became my favourite brother, at times I completely forgot that he was the youngest Merrick brother, as he was so mature for his age. He took charge when the twins Nick and Gabriel kept fooling around and he made it obviously blatant how he felt about Becca, *hooray!* there’s nothing more that grates me than a guy whose in constant denial about his feelings.I instantly admired Becca too, despite Michael scaring her off she refused to back down always coming back for more but also able to look after herself. She would try to help out as much as she could despite this leading her to put her neck on the line.Then there was Hunter, I honestly was baffled by him; new kid at school that takes a liking to Becca? What was his agenda? Was he one of the bad guys? Or did he want Becca because Chris did. Hunter was a character who definitely blew hot and cold with me. At times I appreciated his presence, but then at other times I wanted to strangle him, he would always turn up at the wrong time. Still after finishing Storm I have no clear feelings about what I think about him. Overall Storm was a thoroughly entertaining read; I had my suspicions throughout the book about some of the characters, but was surprised at times by how things turned out. Once I’d finished this book I didn’t actually realise it was the end, it kind of leaves you hanging with several unanswered questions which is great by me because Storm has definitely left me wanting more of the Merrick brothers asap!