Jasprit

Jasprit

Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) - Gayle Forman Post reading thoughts: Oh gosh this book just took my heart and stomped all over it. I need Just One Year now! Full review to come once I've got all my feelings in check.Please excuse my meagre attempt at gathering my chaotic thoughts and trying to write a coherent review, but Just One Day just evoked so many different emotions within me. So many books come around that leave just a deep lasting impression and without a doubt Just One Day is one of those books.Allyson was meant to be on trip of her life in Europe, but it didn’t have that life changing effect as she was hoping. Her best friend Mel kept encouraging her to enjoy herself and make the most out of it. But Allyson wasn’t like Mel, constantly taking risks; the only big risk Allyson had taken so far was cut her hair to a bob. But on their last night in London on their tour, Allyson and Mel decide not to follow the rules and watch a different production of a play and that’s where she meets Willem, she knows there’s something about him as soon as their eyes meet in the pit of her stomach. The next day when she meets him on the train, she makes a spur of the moment decision to travel to Paris with him for just one day. He’s a complete stranger but Allyson finds herself wanting to take this chance and do something normal Allyson wouldn’t do.This one day ends up being an epitome of what her entire trip in Europe was meant to be about. Willem tries to encapsulate the beautiful experience of Paris for Allyson, but she ends up with leaving more than she bargained for, that would affect her whole outlook on life months later, returning to the US Allyson is a changed person.The last time I felt so much love for a book was when I read Gayle Forman’s Where She Went in Just One Day. Just One Day had the same achy, raw lingering effect on me but it was that much more profound. It was like I was on my own journey of discovery and growth with Allyson, I was led to believe so much about Willem that I felt the same amount of fury and heartache that Allyson did. When she was lost and hurt afterwards and when she finally started doing things for herself instead of being dictated at her whole entire life. I felt like Andy Murray at Wimbledon getting pumped up by the crowd and continually pumping my fist. (And I never do this) It’s like Gayle had this magical wand when writing this book and just knew how to push your buttons that I found myself so involved with Allyson’s life that I wanted so much for her to get her happy ending.Allyson’s personal growth over the course of the book was so admirable it was like she was shedding her skin until she finally found the real Allyson underneath. I liked watching her friendships blossom especially with Dee (I wasn’t really a fan of Mel), take the courage to do what she wanted and knew she had to in her heart.Willem was a complete enigma, at times I was never sure who the real Willem was, I thought I was able to get glances of him, but he was quick to cover up his true feelings. But like Allyson I wasn’t able to resist his charms. I like how there’s so many complicated layers to this guy, so much we haven’t touched upon and I am beyond eager at unravelling all this mystery when we get his pov in Just One Year.Gayle Forman has once again created such a heartbreaking realistic read that resonated with me. For me she has taken her writing up in a whole another notch from Where She Went, I found myself constantly highlighting my favourite quotes (which was pretty much the entire book) and re-reading favourite passages over and over again.This journey that I was able to take with Allyson over the course of this beautiful book will be one I won’t forget.