Jasprit

Jasprit

Things I Can't Forget - Miranda Kenneally "Does being in love mean forgetting everything you know? Or is it about folding that love into your life? Because right now, I have no idea how to balance that"Things I Can’t Forget touches upon a more of a difficult situation for our protagonist compared to the previous two books. Jordan and Parker both had tough decisions to make too and horrible situations to deal with but I found Kate was hit much harder. Kate had no one to confide in, as she’d isolated herself away from her best friend after believing she’d made the biggest mistake in her life. I found she was always stumbling around, never sure which route to take or how to balance two important things in her life. Kate had always been a devout believer in God; she attended church regularly and followed the beliefs instilled in her by her church. So when at church camp in the summer she ends up falling for Matt, a guy who she shared her first kiss with when she was 11 years old, she doesn’t know what to do. Each time she’s with him she wants something more, but the beliefs she’s always followed by are continually holding her back. When I first met Kate, she was a protagonist I didn’t like, she was judgemental, abrupt in letting her opinions being known and not one to take into consideration other people’s thoughts. It’s no wonder she found it tough to make friends at camp, when in just the first two minutes she refused to sleep in the same cabin as everyone else and offended Parker. But being around Matt did help change all that. And I liked the progression her character made through the course of the book. Kate tried to make the extra effort to stop and think things through even though she was torn about what she should do.Matt was the complete opposite. He believed in God too, but wasn’t one to let his church’s beliefs guide his life, he did what he felt was right to do. But most importantly he wasn’t uptight about things, but down to earth, funny, always trying to have a good time, he loved reading and played guitar! *sigh*. He was definitely what Kate needed to loosen her up a bit. Miranda Kenneally sure knows how to bring a book to life with a lively set of secondary characters. It was great once again getting the chance to be back again with our favourites from her previous books. I love how with Miranda’s books I’m always certain about my favourite characters, but as soon as another book is released, I find myself forming connections with another bunch of characters who instantly become my new favourites. Also getting to know new characters too, the fresh new faces brought a lot of wit, charm, and funny antics into the mix. I enjoyed how even though Things I Can’t Forget was focused on Kate and Matt’s story, we were able to delve into the back story of several other secondary characters too. It allowed my earlier impressions that I had of them to change multiple times over the course of this book. Things I Can’t Forget focused on a deeper, and serious underlying theme, but I liked the way Kenneally brought this issue to the limelight and worked with it well. Kate had it all to deal with in this book, but with fun, banter and developing friendships along the way, she was able to make the right decision and bring out the better person in herself.