Jasprit

Jasprit

Unremembered - Jessica Brody Books dealing with memory loss is my biggest pet peeve, I enjoy the entire concept; of for whatever reason a protagonist loses their memory and spends most of the story trying to discover who and what they were before the accident. But I’ve never found a novel which deals with memory loss which has totally wowed me. I’ve found that novels which take a light hearted approach to this such as What Alice forgot, I’m more likely to enjoy, where as those with a big conspiracy theory behind everything tend to confuse me even more. Unfortunately Unremembered for me falls into the latter category. Despite starting off fun, with Violet trying to find her place in her foster family and forming a relationship with her witty step-brother Cody, the path the story followed kind of dwindled off into strangers lurking in the shadows and accusations being thrown about all over the place of who Violet really was. I quite liked the first half when Violet and Cody become their own little detectives and did their own investigating, the second half unfortunately I didn’t like at all.For me personally Brody attempted to throw too much into the mix, I barely got my head around what Violet was and then we had all these individuals popping up claiming to be “friends” of Violet, who could she trust? I liked getting into the back story into Violet’s life, but after everything I didn’t find it all that exciting. The romance also thrown into the mix didn’t win me over either, I usually like my action packed novels layered with a sweet romance. But the relationship between Zen and Violet had no substance for me, I enjoyed getting the small flash backs into how they once were, but now I wasn’t too confident that they could get that back.The first half of Unremembered began solidly for me I even had the initial excitement that finally I had found a decent story dealing with memory loss. But the second half just went over my head. I’m not sure that I will be continuing with this series, but I definitely want to try Brody’s other books I have a feeling I may have more luck with her contemporary novels.If anyone has read decent books dealing with memory loss, I would love to know your recommendations.