Jasprit

Jasprit

Ditched: A Love Story - Robin Mellom 3.5 starsReading Ditched felt like I was unravelling an onion with so many intricate layers incorporated into the story. The book at times felt highly like a mystery novel rather than a contemporary YA (not that I’m complaining). I enjoyed uncovering the story behind what was meant to be Justina’s biggest night in high school and discovering why it ended up going disastrously wrong instead. Justina had finally decided to take the plunge with her date Ian on prom night, they had been good friends for the last couple of months and although unsure of his feelings Justina decided to make the first move. But before she knew it her plans started going horribly wrong. Maybe it was a bad idea to get her mum to pick out her prom dress and dye her matching shoes, so she looked like a blueberry compared to everyone else who was glammed up. And from then it just got worse and worse.I liked the mystery aspect of this book; how the beginning of each chapter started off with Justina noticing another stain on her dress, which would lead to unravelling a story behind the meaningful mark. Poor Justina had it all to deal with; all she wanted was a few quick moments with Ian, but something always ended up getting in the way. My relationship with her in this book was a topsy-turvy one, with the little clues were given along the way, I was hoping that she hadn’t gone back to the way she was before; the reputation that everyone expected of her, but she always made me assume the worst about her. And as the book progressed she didn’t become the easiest person to like, she was quick to jump to assumptions about people before really knowing what they were like based on snippets of information she had overheard. The decision she made at the end was the best possible one she could make and it did show greater character progression, but part of me wished she’d opened her eyes and realised what was before her a lot sooner. But I guess without the stumbling around in the dark there would have been a huge chunk of fun missing out of this book. Ditched was a lot different to what I had been expecting, I enjoyed how each character sucked you in with a different story of Justina’s eventful prom night. There were some cute and unexpected road bumps along the way which made Ditched quite an addictive read. But I wish we had the chance to get to know some of the characters a lot more especially Ian. But overall Ditched was a fun book which I thoroughly enjoyed.