Jasprit

Jasprit

Getting Over Garrett Delaney - Abby McDonald Getting over Garrett Delaney was much more than the cute fluffy book I was expecting it to be. Our MC Sadie has been infatuated by Garrett for over two years now, he’s become her best friend, but she’s always wanted more. He’s the perfect match for her, as they both have so much in common and there’s nothing that either would do for each other. Sadie has her summer planned out, both she and Garrett would be attending writing camp and it would be the best summer ever. But things don’t end up as planned as Sadie ends up stuck at home, whilst Garrett is whisked away to camp. Both Garrett and Sadie promise to keep in touch every day, but then Sadie gets the dreaded phone call, Garrett has met someone at camp and she’s definitely the one. I was all for Sadie and Garrett getting together, they did seem perfect for each other. But I think the wake- up call Sadie received from Garrett, it was exactly what she needed, as Sadie was led through an incredible journey about discovering how lopsided and toxic her friendship with Garrett was. I adored the steps that Sadie planned out to get over Garrett which led to tapping into Garrett’s character beneath the surface so that Sadie could see what he really was like. I admit that I was also completely mesmerised by Garrett’s charm and personality, so I could completely understand Sadie’s pain when she realised she was the one contributing everything to the friendship in the first place.I truly admired Sadie’s character and strength, but more the character growth that she displayed over the course of this book. There were a few stumbling blocks along the way where Sadie faltered, but with unexpected friends from work she was able to stay on the right path. A lot of readers will appreciate Sadie especially if you like your MC’s who finally take a stand to guys they’ve been steamrolled over for ages. To give credit to Sadie she was enamoured by Garrett’s character, but it was only when her friends were able to help her take a step back that she realised what was happening.Getting over Garrett Delaney was a tough task to accomplish for Sadie, as for the past two years her only friend left had been Garrett. But with great secondary characters such as Kayla, LuAnn, Dominique, Josh and Aiko who really came through as more of supporting friends than Garrett ever was, Sadie was able to experience this traumatising situation in a great way. The secondary characters did bring a lot of their own drama, but the way everyone helped one another out in their most difficult times proved just how far they had come in their friendship. The characters were also great in making light of a dull situation; some of their antics were quick to bring a smile to my face.Getting over Garrett Delaney was a book which I certainly read at the right time, it was perfect in lifting up my spirits when I was feeling run down and tired. And it was a truly eye opening journey to go on with Sadie in this book. For those of you who have originally not considered Getting over Garrett Delaney as your sort of book I encourage you to give it a try.