Jasprit

Jasprit

I Am the Messenger - Markus Zusak Reasons to read I am the Messenger• An intricate thought evoking awesome plot ✔ • A group of endearing characters that you never want to let go ✔ • Writing which is simply out of this world ✔ • A printz honor book ✔ • Written by Zusak, do I need to say any more? ✔ This has to be one of the hardest reviews I’ve ever had to write. I savoured this little gem of a book in a few days and my mind is still reeling after finishing it a few days ago. I apologise in advance if this review appears to be all over the place and seems to be a splurge of random thoughts. I feel like a ball in a pin ball machine that’s been smacked around all over the place, I’ve been left with an unusual giddiness and just raw emotions which are splayed all over the place. When I decided to read I am the Messenger with my friend Maja, I didn’t really know what I would be getting myself into. I previously read Zusak’s the Book Thief which I thought was pretty amazing but with I am the Messenger I hadn’t even read the blurb before picking up my copy, but it was by Zusak and that alone was enough to make me pick up any book.The story follows Ed who has pretty much had a sucky life, at 19 he is just an ordinary cabdriver with not much going on his life until one day he stops a guy from robbing a bank. Consequently Ed’s face is splashed across the papers and he is hailed a hero! (Can I just say that the bank scene was one of the best opening scenes I’ve ever read). Then the real drama ensues Ed mysteriously receives an ace of diamonds card with three addresses on it. Ed’s conflicted about what he should do, until he decides to visit the first house. Ed then becomes the messenger, it becomes his job to deliver the messages to the people on the cards, once having completed the messages on one particular ace he will have to do another and so on, simple right? Not so much some of the messages that Ed had to deliver were so powerful and just broke my heart. Firstly Ed was such a strong character I was so consumed with repulsiveness over Edgar street I would have had no idea what to do, he went through beatings, had to pretend to be someone else, just so that he could make others happy and realise how much they needed one another”how do people live like this?How do they survive?And maybe that’s why I’m hereWhat if they can’t anymore?” Secondly Ed was so intelligent if I was Ed I can honestly put my hand on my heart and admit that I would never be able to solve a single one of those messages. Especially the ace of spades one I didn’t even know they were writers I would have utterly failed.What an amazing bunch of characters Zusak created, from Ed, poor poor Ed (this is how I referred to him throughout most of the book). At times I just wanted to give him a big hug, he deserved so much instead he got stuck with a ma who treated him like a crap, a girl who didn’t love him back a mediocre taxi job, a bunch of horrible messages to deliver and a smelly dog. One of the reasons I adored Ed was because he didn’t realise how great, intelligent and witty he actually was, in fact he was always kind of down on himself and the fact that he had his own problems to deal with but still did what he could to put a smile on someone’s face like little old Milla. The Doorman, seriously the way he was first described I didn’t even know he was a dog. He made me smile in every scene he was in; I loved the conversations he had with Ed;“And you I accuse him you stay put next timeOkay okay he responds and soon he goes into a coughing fitSure enough a piece of liquorice jumps from his mouth, andGuilt crawls into his eyes.That’ll teach you I point at him viciously. He tries to ignore me”Ritchie, I adored your laid-backness, how you always knew how to wind up Marv. Marv this guy was so freaking funny, the love he had for his car, the sledge game, I always thought he was a tight git, never in a million years would I have guessed the reason for his greediness, he really was a softy at heart. And finally Audrey, the only character that I didn’t really connect with or really like and personally I felt that Ed could do so much better Zusak is one heck of a talented author; I’ve seen how remarkable his work can be with The Book Thief, but I am the Messenger shows a whole another side of him. His story building is immense, the amount of detail he put in the intricately woven clues, the ending, oh my gosh normally with these who dunnit type of books I tend to have an inkling of who it could be, I literally went back and forth so many times to try and figure it out but still came up with nothing! And at the end I will admit that I was sitting there with a bewildered expression on my face thinking what? Until finally my brain caught up. Seriously how did he ever come up with this idea? As so many people have already pointed out Markus Zusak is a genius! Zusak’s writing is exquisite, he has this special way with words, at times which can be spell binding, with your eyes never wanting to leave the pages, at times which is poignant and intense and just tears at your heart;” sometimes people are beautiful.Not in looks.Not in what they say.Just in what they are”And then out of the blue you’ll come across the funniest quote ever; “The judge chimes in now. And as for ugly bastards – MrKennedy, could you please refrain from casting such aspersions?You’re not an oil painting yourself you know” I am the Messenger is simply an epic masterpiece. If after reading this review you still haven’t read this book what are you waiting for??Thanks Maja for reading this awesome book with me, it was definitely an unforgettable reading experience.