Jasprit

Jasprit

Meant to Be

Meant to Be - Lauren Morrill 3.5 stars“I want toe-curlingly awesome kisses. One-of-a-kind kisses from a one-of-a-kind boy” Julia has followed by the notion of her MTB (Meant to be) for years. Ever since she was five years old she knew her Meant to be was Mark; her next door neighbour, but he moved away, but now he’s back at her school again and she’s just waiting for him to realise it too. But she has to put everything on hold as she’s off on a class trip to London, unfortunately it clashes with her big swim meet so none of her swim friends can make it, neither can her best friend Phoebe. So she’s stuck with a bunch of people she doesn’t really get on with, but it’s London, the place her parents went on their honeymoon, so she’s going to make the most of this trip. She’s prepared with her over the top post it note filled guides. But what she’s not prepared for is being buddied up with class clown Jason Lippincott, whose hell bent on breaking the rules and showing Julia how to have a good time. Julia reminded me of myself in a lot of ways, I’m not a know it all, but I have the habit of correcting someone when they say something wrong. My sister absolutely hates it and by seeing how other people reacted to Julia doing it, I could see why it annoyed other people at the other end of it. But unlike me she was a devout rule forever and she had an extreme obsession of tidiness, she wanted everything neat and tidy in her hotel room and in her handbag. So I think being paired up with Jason was a great idea. He was the total opposite of her and the perfect person to show her that once in a while she needed to let her hair down and have some fun. Being from England it was fun reading about the places they visited and mentioned because for once in my life I could actually picture them in my head as I’d visited a lot of these places already. And plus I love a book where two characters who never want to spend much time around one another are forced to do so in awkward situation. Julia and Jason had no choice but to be each other’s buddies during this trip otherwise it could have affected their GPA score. Something which both of them didn’t want to happen. I also enjoyed the character development of both Julia and Jason over the course of this book with Julia finally taking more risks and realising a lot of things along the way. I enjoyed the banter, some of the shenanigans Jason got Julia to be a part of by sidetracking her from following the straight and narrow path all the time. The only thing that caused me to put my rating down for this book was the twist at the end, it was a little too unrealistic for my liking but other than that I enjoyed Meant to Be, it was a super cute and fun debut from Morrill!