Jasprit

Jasprit

Wild Awake

Wild Awake - Hilary T. Smith Wild Awake was a strange read. I remember when I first read the blurb last year I was so excited to get my hands on a copy, it had the signs of a mystery and a romance all rolled into one. And when I started my copy it was great; Kiri receives a call out of the blue saying that she has to collect her sister’s stuff. Kiri’s freaked, her sister died in a car accident five house years ago, what stuff could she have left?I was all aboard on discovering the mystery behind Kiri’s sister Sukey’s death. Before this call out of the blue, Kiri’s life was all planned out, whilst her parents were away she would practice piano for her big and upcoming showcase and in the rest of the time, she would practice for the battle of the bands with her friend Lucas.But then she had to deal with getting to the bottom of the truth, what had really happened to Sukey? Kiri had always looked up to Sukey, no matter that her family had abandoned her, the time she spent with her meant so much. Kiri had a lonely road ahead of her, it was a murky and dangerous path, and so I felt for her that she had no one to help her through it.I really wanted to enjoy Wild Awake more, but the connection I had with Kiri’s character at the beginning sort of whittled out after her character took a nose dive into an abyss. She started behaving erratically, making impulsive decisions that her brother stayed home longer to keep an eye out on her, it was a depressing time for Kiri, and I totally understand why she went down that route with all the pressure and lies she had been told. But the Kiri which evolved was just too wild for me.I don’t have a list of flaws for Wild Awake that could explain why it didn’t work for me. I think one of the reasons could be that I had this idea that Wild Awake would be a fun mystery read, but it ended up being a much darker read. It did deal with some realistic issues really well. But I think I just read this book at the wrong time and thus wasn’t able to connect with it as much as I’d hoped.