Jasprit

Jasprit

Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Obsidian (Lux, #1) - Jennifer L. Armentrout Looking over the huge number of 5 stars reviews from my goodreads friends I went into Obsidian with really optimistic expectations. I know that I can trust my goodreads opinions on books, as they’re not ones to sugar coat everything but will give their honest opinion. So I’m sorry guys that I didn’t end up loving this as much, I really tried. The interesting blurb was what drew me to Obsidian in the first place; hot alien next door leaves a mark or glow on unsuspecting human, glow puts human and other aliens at risk and the only way to get rid of the glow is by remaining in close contact with the alien who put the mark on the human in the first place. What made the whole issue about this mark interesting was that the alien-human (Daemon and Katy) had a sort of love- hate relationship going on. It was blatantly obvious that they both liked each other, but whenever it seemed like the two were getting closer together, Daemon would turn into a jerk, suddenly become really defensive and mess everything up. the hot make out scene between these two is evidence enough.I can see why everyone was so infatuated with Daemon; he basically had it all; the sexual appeal rolling off him, his to die for body, full kissable lips, intense emerald eyes, tously hair you can endlessly run your fingers through and not forgetting his loveable charm. But his mood swings at times would infuriate me so much that I just wanted to punch him. Whereas Katy on the other hand I liked her character from the beginning, she was feisty, didn’t take no shit from Daemon or Ash and stood her ground. The sexual tension and banter between her and Daemon I initially liked, but got kind of tedious after a while I just wanted to scream, just get it on would you! However what annoyed me about Katy was that she was a little slow clicking on that there was something up with Daemon, the signs were visibly in front of her; he could hold his breath under water longer than a normal human could, he moved lightning fast (ring any similarities?) and each time she asked him he was really evasive about it or threw it back onto her saying she was imagining it all. However I’ll give Katy some credit because I’ve come across some really clueless characters lately such as Nora and Bethany thankfully Katy wasn’t as clueless as these, she knew something was up with Daemon but not what. But the whole charade of guessing what Daemon is, a series of events happening which are unexplainable and can’t be done by a person with human abilities and the finally discovering he isn’t actually human really gets to me now. I just think this idea has been exhausted so much. Another major issue that I had with this book was the huge similarities it had with another book twilight I found that once I’d spotted a similarity I was constantly on the lookout for more and this hugely dampened my interests with the book. Despite the similarities I did enjoy reading Obsidian somewhat and thus my reason for giving it three stars. The pace throughout the story was good, despite being irritated at times, I was riveted reading it. I wanted to know what was going to happen. The second-half was also a lot more action packed, the alien energy’s could be confusing but I enjoyed this a lot more than the previous “alien- related-theme” book I had read. It was also an hilarious read, which I enjoyed and the ending I applaud, as it didn’t end it typical fashion with the girl and non-human realising they love each other and ending up togetherObsidian was a strange reading experience, I wanted to love it, but the similarities at times were too much for me, it has really left me in two minds about picking up the rest of the trilogy.