Jasprit

Jasprit

Endless Summer: The Boys Next Door and Endless Summer (Romantic Comedies)

Endless Summer - Jennifer Echols When browsing my local bookstore the other day I came across Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols, I literally had to do a double take as my bookstore never stocks books by Jennifer Echols, I picked the book up and went straight to the tills, no way was I passing this missed opportunity, who knew when they’d have some more books by Echols in? I was excited to have found this book (well actually its two books in one The boys next door & Endless Summer) as I’d wanted to read it for some time. But also because the blurb sounded quite similar to The Summer I turned pretty series (a series I held really close to my heart). Book one The boys next door tells the story of two brothers Sean and Adam Vader who live next door to Lori (there’s actually three brothers altogether including Cameron, but the story largely focuses on Sean and Adam) Sean is drop dead gorgeous, has most of the girls after him and Lori has been infatuated with him as long as she can remember. Whereas Adam is sweet, can be a little impulsive at times but is also more of a friend to Lori. Lori loves the summer vacation, as it’s the only time she gets to work at the marina all summer long with the Vader brothers. Since Lori’s mum passed away Lori’s known that she meant to be with Sean. After pining for Sean for so long she’s finally decided to go for it, after all this may be her last opportunity with Sean going off to college soon. Lori starts by trying to get Sean to notice her anyway possible; innocently swanning around in her bikini and trouncing the boys in wakeboarding. But Sean still remains as clueless as ever, the only attention she seems to be getting is from the wrong Vader brother; Adam. So Lori comes up with an ingenious plan to pretend to hook up with Adam to make Sean jealous. What follows is a comical ploy full of disaster, mistaken identity and endless fun. To me it was blatantly obvious that Adam liked Lori more than a friend, the way he agreed straight away to their fake relationship, how he was always ruining the moment between her and Sean or discouraging Lori away from Sean and the fact that he’d still kept and wore her skull and cross bone pendant that she had given him when they were 12 years old. But Lori was so besotted with Sean that she didn’t pick up on the potential in front of her. Adam and Lori’s fake relationship depicted what summer relationships are all about; it was sweet, warm, delicious, had a sense of forbiddenness about it and just left me with goose bumps all over. What frustrated me was how long it took Adam and Lori to realise how good their relationship was, Lori was too awestruck by Sean and Adam continually jealous of Sean. I really enjoyed The Boys next door, it was a perfect summer read, it summed up perfectly what the summer should be like, it left me with a longing for the summer days, lounging around in the sun, goofing around with friends and just having endless fun. Book two; Endless Summer, kicks off straight after The boys next door, Lori and Adam have finally got their act together and ended up together but end up staying way past Lori’s curfew, Lori’s dad who had been up all night sick with worry bans Adam and Lori from seeing each other. Personally I think The boys next door would have been the perfect ending to the story, whilst the fake relationships and mind games slightly aggravated me in the first book, Endless Summer took it to a whole another level. I know Lori and Adam hated being away from each other, but pretending to date other people again? It just created a lot of misunderstandings which were fun at times but also unnecessary. I think this was my only real issue with the book, other than that it was a great read, but may be not as good as the first book. What I liked about Endless Summer was the alternative pov’s we got from Lori and Adam, before in The boys next door we had everything from Lori, it was interesting getting into the mind of Adam and understanding how he was thinking. There were also some absolutely hysterical scenes caused by miscommunication; Lori and Parker’s fake date McGillicuddy (I still have no idea how to pronounce this) and Adam assuming Cameron was trying it on with Lori. I loved the camaraderie and banter between the boys; Sean, Adam, Cameron and McGillicuddy. However both books were wholly focused on Sean and Adam, I would have liked to see more of McGillicuddy and Cameron. Jennifer Echols is one of many authors that I have discovered only this year. Her writing has a way of keeping you easily riveted and leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling after finishing her book. I look forward to more of Jennifer Echol’s books, I’m sure the next books Echols has coming out The one that I want and Such a rush I will devour with as much enthusiasm as I have done already with her books I’ve read so far.