Jasprit

Jasprit

The Piper's Son

The Piper's Son - Melina Marchetta "He comes from a broken home. The Mackees can’t be put back together again. There are too many pieces of them missing".Without a shadow of a doubt, The Piper’s Son is my favourite Melina Marchetta book so far. It had this rawness about it that could touch you so deep, it was achy, and was full of so much heartfelt emotion seriously my feelings were all over the place with this book. Thomas Mackee, do you know what you’ve done to me?Tom had closed himself off from everyone after having lost his uncle Joe two years ago, Tom’s dad not being able to cope with the loss turned to alcohol as his form of solace, leaving his wife with no other choice but to walk out on him, eventually Tom was also left on his own. Tom also shut out Tara and his other friends, he turned to find comfort wherever he could sometimes even with complete strangers and just generally getting wasted. My heart truly went out to Tom, he was suffocated with memories he couldn’t talk to anyone about and was just engulfed with sadness and loneliness.What I liked about The Piper’s Son;I enjoyed reading the alternative pov’s from Georgie and Tom; it was truly moving reading about their grief they had to deal with. It was great having most of the characters back, Frankie, Justine, Siobhan and Tara (“the four horsewomen of apocalypse”) and Will Trombal. I loved the banter between Will and Tom, and how Tom always ended up winding Will up. Jimmy was always my favourite character from Saving Francesca, so I was quite disappointed that he wasn’t in the story.Despite The Piper’s Son being really intense and emotional, it was also full of endless humour which had me cracking up on so many occasions. When Dom, Tom and Bill went jogging, Bill and his lack of shorts and Dom with his tae kwon do movements, Saint Trombal, Nanni Grace and Bill and his swearing in front of Callum. I enjoyed The Piper’s Son so much that I actually took my time reading this book; normally I just devour a book up really quickly. But with The Piper’s Son I couldn’t I wanted to savour each word and every single page and I just didn’t want to let Tom or this book go. I think I’ve said this on numerous occasions already but Melina Marchetta has quickly become one of my favourite authors, her books that I have read Saving Francesca and Jellicoe Road I’ve ended up loving each one more and more, they’re those kind of books which you will continually cherish and re-read and never get tired of them. For me Marchetta’s books have always left me with a warm fuzzy feeling all over. The Piper’s Son was everything I’d imagined and so much more. I don’t think my review could ever do it the justice it totally deserves. The only thing I can honestly say is go out and read this book, you won’t regret it!