Jasprit

Jasprit

The Lifeguard

The Lifeguard - Deborah Blumenthal The Lifeguard was one of those books where I fell for the cover, it was gorgeous and so appealing and the synopsis made it sound like decent summer read too. However my initial assumptions were way off the mark.The lifeguard started off with a bang, Sirena the main character goes out for a quick dip in the water as it’s so hot; however she gets swept away by the fast currents and bitten by something so sharp that before you know it she finds herself drowning. We’re basically left hanging here with no clue as to whether she’s okay whether she made it in one piece as the story jumps to a completely different part with Sirena telling us the story from the beginning again! I didn’t want to know this story wanted to go back to the story before! It wasn’t until around 60% that I finally got to the part that I had been waiting for and by which point I had lost all my enthusiasm and interest I had started off with.What usually bugs me with books is when we get male characters with a mysterious side. Usually when it comes to “mysterious characters” I tend not to have the patience to read through just to discover they are a vampire/werewolf. But with the Lifeguard I actually wanted to know and I think this is what made me reading the book to the end. Sirena had no clue what was up with the mysterious male character Pilot in this book, he kept to himself, was drop dead gorgeous but he had another side to him which she couldn’t quite put her finger on. I suppose his big secret did take me by surprise, as it was something I definitely wasn’t expecting.Overall The Lifeguard was a book which I really wanted to love, but it just had a hard time keeping my attention.Thank you Netgalley and Open Road Media for the chance to read this book.