Jasprit

Jasprit

Virtuosity

Virtuosity - Jessica Martinez Where can I start with Virtuosity? My thoughts are kind of all jumbled up right now, having just finished this book which was an amazing read. I think I’m quite surprised by this, as when I’d read the blurb, I had certain expectations of the book in my head, but this book totally blew them away and gave me so much more!Carmen Bianchi is a talented violinist, she’s been playing ever since she can remember, she’s won a Grammy, and even released her music, but everything she’s done in her career has been toward one goal; winning the Guarneri; a prestigious competition in classical music, which if she wins would provide her with performance opportunities all over the world, $50,000 and a four year loan of a one of a kind violin. Carmen has a realistic shot at winning the Guarneri and she is so close, that is until she meets her competition Jeremy King. He’s talented, drop dead gorgeous, egotistical and has a very good chance of shattering Carmen’s dream. However Carmen soon finds herself being drawn towards Jeremy, she starts secretly watching him play and agreeing to have dinner with him. Her mum Diana warns her to stay away from him, as she thinks that he’s just using Carmen to win the competition. But Carmen can’t help herself, is Jeremy really just using her to ruin her chances or could he really be interested in her?I really felt for Carmen as she had such a controlling mother, who basically dictated everything in her life from her schedule, to what clothes she would be wearing to her performances, making her take Inderal tablets to calm her nerves and having her homeschooled. I felt that as Diana had been forced to end her own dream during its peak, the only way she could achieve her dream was by living it through Carmen. Also I just didn’t like Diana from the beginning, there always seemed something shady about her character that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I had always hoped that Jeremy and Carmen would end up together, despite having a rocky start to their relationship, the progression of their relationship through their emails and secret meetings was so sweet and it definitely tugged at my heartstrings. The only thing which miffed me about Virtuosity was the ending, I felt that it could have ended more conclusively, I actually carried on scrolling thinking that there would be another chapter to end the story. But overall Jessica Martinez did a grand job with Virtuosity; I’m looking forward to reading more of her work.