Jasprit

Jasprit

Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy Summer - Sarah Ockler 3.5/4 starsTwenty Boy Summer is the story of two best friends Anna and Frankie. They’ve practically grown up together and share everything with one another. Except for the fact that Anna has always been in love with Frankie’s brother Matt, just when Matt and Anna finally admitted their feelings for one another and were getting to spend more time with each other Matt tragically passed away. They had always planned to tell Frankie, but they just didn’t get the time. Now a year later with everyone still recovering from Matt’s unexpected death Anna agrees to go on holiday with Frankie’s family to California, a yearly family trip which for the first time Frankie’s family are making without Matt. Frankie who keeps telling everyone she is okay convinces Anna to have a twenty boy contest with her; in the 20 days they will spend in California they will try to get with 20 different guys, whoever gets with the most will win. This is where Anna faces a dilemma, she wants to keep Frankie happy and she can do this by taking part in the contest, but taking part in the contest also makes her feel guilty; as getting with other guys will mean forgetting Matt. Twenty Boy Summer was beautifully written, Ockler did a brilliant job illustrating how hard it can be to lose somebody you love, to go through the grieving process and then finally reach the turning point where you can live your life, and that doing something which makes you happy doesn’t mean you’ve forgotten or don’t care about that loved one just that you’ve finally learnt how to cope better without that person being around anymore. It was such a moving read.For me Twenty Boy Summer was a perfect summer read it left me longing for the summer where you can just spend a day lounging around on the beach with a great book in your hands!Thank you Emily for giving me your copy!! :)Memorable quote;"Anna what's the number one coolest thing you've ever seen in your life?"..."It's always been the ocean. But I'm thinking about changing my answer"He didn't say anything after that. He just looked at my eyes fora long, long time, missing all the stars above us until it was too light to see them anyway.